[Pgi-wg] Supportive slides: Request routing idea addressed

Moreno Marzolla moreno.marzolla at pd.infn.it
Wed Apr 8 08:48:05 CDT 2009

Steven Newhouse wrote:
>> It provides more information about the 'Request routing' idea
> addressed
>> by UNICORE/ARC/gLite...
>
> Since when is this a core requirement for dealing with batch submission
> to a site? Is this not out of scope? You are opening up a can of worms
> regarding complex workflows etc.

I do not think this is out of scope. In gLite, we already have CREAM
which acts as a front-end to multiple batch queues, and the gLite WMS
which acts as a front-end to multiple CEs. Submitting a job through
"PGI-BES" to the gLite WMS will cause the job to be forwarded to tbe CE
better matching the job requirements to be selected for execution, and
the job being forwarded there. Even the current, "plain" BES defines the
concept of "embedded resources", which in the CREAM-BES prototype we
used to let users access specific batch queues. If we consider the
"easy" problem of forwarding individual jobs without dependencies (no
workflows) I cannot see major reasons not to address this problem.

Moreno.

--
Moreno Marzolla
INFN Sezione di Padova,    via Marzolo 8,   35131 PADOVA,  Italy