[ogsa-wg] Call for Papers DOD 2024

SBA Research Events events at sba-research.org
Thu Nov 30 06:23:00 PST 2023

****Call for Papers****
International Workshop on Dynamics of Disasters: Hybrid Threats (DOD 2024)

to be held in conjunction with the 19th International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (ARES 2024 - http://www.ares-conference.eu)
July 30 - August 1, 2024, Vienna, Austria

Workshop Description:
Recent years have painfully revealed that disaster preparedness as well as disaster management are not always up to par to the challenges posed by various disasters, for both natural as well as man-made disasters. Disasters occur when hazards and their corresponding risks can no longer be properly contained, leading to serious detrimental consequences in terms of loss of life, financial repercussions or devastation to infrastructure and the environment. Globally, disasters have increased and are also affecting or threatening regions where in the past certain hazards were not so prominent. The COVID-19 pandemic surely has been - unfortunately - a hard test by reality for many aspects of disaster preparedness as well as operational disaster management policies, which still impacts our lives today and so will for some time in the future. To elaborate further using the example of the COVID-19 pandemic in hindsight from the perspective of today, the global spread and the resulting different implications during the COVID-19 pandemic highlights the importance to consider the dynamic evolvement of a disaster, which is exactly what the DoD-series has been focused on in the past and also will be focused on in its edition in 2024. DOD 2024 will broaden its scope and put forward the specialized theme of hybrid threats, thereby paying particular attention to emerging threats due to the ever growing integration and coupling between the cyber- and the physical domain. These emerging threats reach farther than cyber-physical systems, which have been the prime examples for novel attacks and consequences, which can both arise from the cyber as well as the physical domain. The impact of hybrid threats on our modern societies is profound and only increases the challenges for disaster management organizations and first responders.

We call for (extended) abstracts and/or papers dealing with all aspects related to the dynamics of disasters, and - in particular - encourage submissions dealing with hybrid threats. We would also like to highlight that we encourage submissions addressing challenges relating to the interdisciplinary character of disaster response and disaster management.

We plan to organize a call for extended versions of papers presented at DOD2024 to be included in dedicated post-proceedings of DOD 2024 published by Springer, similar to previous editions of the DOD-series:
* for DOD 2015 (https://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319437071);
* for DOD 2017 (https://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319974415);
* for DOD 2019 (https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030649722);
* for DOD 2021: Operations Research Forum (https://link.springer.com/collections/chfiighaab) virtual issue.

We are very much looking forward to hosting DOD 2024, which will be co-located with the 19th International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (ARES 2024, ARES Conference » Vienna, Austria (ares-conference.eu<https://www.ares-conference.eu/>)) and welcoming you to Vienna!

****Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:****
* All aspects relating to the dynamics of disasters:
o optimization,
o  computing,
o  mathematical and statistical modeling,
o data analytics,
o emergency and disaster management
o Hybrid threats as new and emerging hazards to society

****Important Dates****
Submission Deadline   March 31, 2024
Author Notification     May 29, 2024
Post-Proceedings   Coming soon!
Conference     July 30 - August 1, 2024

****Program Chair/ Workshop Chair****
General Chair: Dimitris Simos, SBA Research, dsimos at sba-research.org<mailto:dsimos at sba-research.org>
PC co-Chair: Bernhard Garn, SBA Research, bgarn at sba-research.org<mailto:bgarn at sba-research.org>
PC co-Chair: Stefan Pickl, Universität der Bundeswehr München, stefan.pickl at unibw.de<mailto:stefan.pickl at unibw.de>
Steering Committee Chair of DOD: Panos Pardalos, University of Florida, pardalos at ufl.edu<mailto:pardalos at ufl.edu>

****Venue****
University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria

****Submission Link****
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=dod2024

****Submission Guidelines****
The submissions should be prepared according to the guidelines given here for Springer LNCS: Conference Proceedings guidelines | Springer | Springer - International Publisher.

****Contact****
All questions about submissions should be emailed to dod2024 at sba-research.org<mailto:dod2024 at sba-research.org>