[ogsa-wg] response to your public comment view of 'info/data model arch doc'

Ellen Stokes stokese at us.ibm.com
Thu May 1 10:25:42 CDT 2008

Donal,
Response embedded below prefaced by (EJS).
I will post in the tracker resolution and update the doc accordingly for
May 8 OGSA call.
Ellen

Nitpicking
Though a good paper overall, the process of converting it to PDF seems to
have badly affected several of the figures,
and a few others need tweaking:
(EJS)  I generated a pdf using a free facility called pdf995....and my

  Fig 1: The top bubble is wholly black! (EJS) Using pdf995, I cannot
reproduce this problem.

  Fig 2: Should have something in the space in the middle or it looks like
a mistake (a cloud? a question mark?) rather
than a preparation for Fig 3.  (EJS)  I disagree...it is prep for figure
3...having the ability for slide overlay has proven in the past to be a
good thing.

  Fig 4: Something is wrong with the transparency of the figures in the
VOs.  (EJS)  This I agree is a problem in the pdf and will fix.  However,
the fix may be to include just one figure in each VO instead of multiples
(how to fix the pdf transparency problem is not readily obvious).

  Fig 5: Would it be possible to increase the font sizes so that the text
is easier to read when printed? And move the &
#034;matching" text so that it is not covering/covered by the line it
labels.  (EJS) I will do what I can to increase the font size.  As for
text covering the lines, I do not see that in the pdf.

  Fig 7: Consider highlighting/making bold the terms that will be picked
up by the queries in Figures 8-11.  (EJS)  I think the highlighting you
suggest will be too confusing to the reader (even if we state that in
text) and make the XML less readable.  The reader can alway use query
functions to find terms.

  Fig 11: Make the font a little smaller so that none of the lines wrap
where not desired (yes, I find this a pain in
the documents I write too...)  (EJS)  Right now the font is at 9 pitch.
Even if I make it at 8 pitch (which is the smallest) some lines will still
wrap.  And given your comment in Figure 5 that the font was too small (8
pitch), I really hesitate to make the font in this figure smaller.

Also, the contributors list probably ought to have the addresses of the
organizations for which the authors work, and
the contributor acknowledgments probably shouldn't use shortened first
names.  (EJS)  The authors chose to not include the explicit org addresses
(very long)..email addresses are most useful.  In the acknowledgements
section, I'm not aware that shortened first names have been used so I
don't know what to fix (and these are names that have been used in other
docs as-is).

(Finally, don't forget to fix the GFD references, of course.)  (EJS)
thanks for the reminder.