[ogsa-wg] OGF Use Cases Workshop - Updated CFP

Subramaniam, Ravi ravi.subramaniam at intel.com
Thu Mar 13 00:44:24 CDT 2008

Hi Steven et al,

The Enterprise council (that is larger than the EGR-RG only) has been
running many of these enterprise and end-user focused sessions. It would
be a duplication of charter to try and run one of these sessions outside
of this enterprise focus - in these discussions the enterprise is meant
to include more than the corporate environment and includes academic
institutions and government organizations. The EGR-RG focus is one
aspect of this larger effort.

The Enterprise council has been discussing the establishment of
workshops focused first on vertical groups like pharma, finance etc and
e-Science. The intent here is not to collect requirement only but to
define a larger charter for these meetings where we can also collect
best-practices and interesting solutions from the end-user perspective
rather than from only the vendors or developers of this software.

There have been many attempts to collect use cases - our experience is
that asking folks to talk about use cases can get us only that far. We
need more work to make this useful to other end users and so we have
widened our focus and efforts to best practices and other collaterals
that would be immediately relevant to end-users/"IT folks" while the
results can inform the standards effort but value does not have to wait
till the standardization efforts around this information proceed to
completion. This will help bring more EUs into the OGF relevance.

It would make no sense to duplicate this function and thus fragment OGF
activities. I think the Enterprise Council has taken a leadership role
in this type of activities that the other OGF groups have not recognized
of yet - the survey and this effort indicates the need for this type of
end-user engagement. I hope the Enterprise Council activities can now be
brought into the mainstream of OGF efforts.

If there are some specific requirements for this effort, please
communicate that to the Enterprise Council we would be glad to
incorporate and I would urge as OGF that we not splinter and duplicate
activities.

Thanks!

Ravi