[ogsa-wg] OGSA Primer Newest Latest draft - v5

Duane Merrill III dgm4d at virginia.edu
Fri Oct 12 02:49:13 CDT 2007

With regard to some of Blair's comments:

  [Primer]
  >>> "OGSA security model addresses trust management via the profiling of
  >>> mechanisms defined in the WS-Trust specification in order to realize trust
  >>> relationships as rules and policies for mapping identities and credentials
  >>> among the involved organization domains."

  [Blair's comments]
  > WS-Trust focuses on a protocol for obtaining, exchanging, validating, .
  > security tokens. Section 2 briefly discusses trust policies and mentions
  > some mechanism for establishing the base trust policy. These are,
  > however, non-normative and not required by WS-Trust.  It also doesn't
  > address issuance policy at a token service. So its not really a sufficient
  > basis for establishing "trust  relationships as rules and policies".

WS-Trust doesn't establish relationships, it helps realize established relationships.  This sentence is basically saying that:
  a.. WS-Trust establishes the notion of token services
  b.. Token services are useful for mapping identities and credentials among security domains
  c.. The mapping of identities and credentials is the realization/incarnation of trust relationships
  d.. Vague hinting that the model will incorporate the profiling of WS-Trust to establish more normative behavior

  [Blair's comments con't.]
  > I find it surprising the subject of delegation of access rights isn't even mentioned.

Aren't we just assuming everyone will use SecPAL assertions?

Honestly, one might argue that delegation of access rights should be treated in the same vein as security token types; claims of delegation criteria will probably have to be federated in a similar vein as tokens themselves.  Thus delegation is tossed in with security policy & credential mechanism: all to be the responisibility of the service providers and profiled in the common-cases by the OGSA security architecture.

-Duane