[ogsa-wg] OGSA Glossary v1.6: Final call for comments

Strong, Paul pstrong at ebay.com
Wed Oct 3 09:48:46 CDT 2007

All,

Sorry for rejoining the debate in its later stages.  Too many quarterly
driven deliverables :o)

I think I have made the comment in the past that we sometimes cause
confusion by using a term that is widely used in industry more
specifically or differently than within an OGSA specific context.  One
of these is Resource Management.  This is very widely used within the
context of performance management and the OGSA definition may cause
confusion.  Now the definition is not too bad in and of itself in that
the OGSA definition is actually broader.  However its use, for example
in the definition of CIM could be very confusing to some.  CIM is an
object oriented model for supporting Systems Management, and not
Resource Management in the traditional sense.   Clearly it models a
sub-set of what OGSA considers Resources, and in an OGSA sense may ease
the management of what OGSA defines as resources, but if you ask the
folks doing CIM they would not I think indicate that their model is for
resource management per se.  I think we must make this plain in the OGSA
Glossary.

Paul