[ogsa-wg] Request for Comments: InterGrid - Peering Architecture for Internetworking Disparate Grids

Rajkumar Buyya raj at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Mon May 21 04:35:27 CDT 2007

Dear OGSA Colleagues:

(A couple of months ago) We have initiated a new project, called
"InterGrid", which aims at developing "Peering Architecture and Policies
for Internetworking Disparate Grids". A high level summary of the
project is given below:
--------------
e-Science and e-Business applications. Several nations around the world
including Australia have developed their own national Grids based on the
notion of virtual organisations. These dispersed Grid initiatives have
resulted in islands of Grids without any support for peering
arrangements between them. This limitation will impede realisation of
full potential of the Grid computing paradigm. This InterGrid project
aims to revolutionise Grid computing by investigating and developing (a)
architectural principles for interlinking Grids, (b) mechanisms for
resource provisioning and allocation within and across Grids and (c)
peering policies and algorithms for inter-Grid resource management.
---------

As you can see this InterGrid project is highly ambitious, a single
research group like ours cannot solve all research challenges.
Therefore, we put together a detailed research agenda with the aim of
sharing it with international community of researchers interested in
pursing this new research area within Grid computing. An article
describing InterGrid research agenda can be downloaded from:
   http://www.gridbus.org/papers/InterGrid.pdf

It will be great to hear your comments on the proposed InterGrid
research agenda. I would also love to hear from those who are interested
in pursuing this line of research with focus on a specific issue/area of
your interest.

Best regards
Raj
Dr. Rajkumar Buyya
Associate Professor and Reader
Grid Computing and Distributed Systems (GRIDS) Lab
Dept. of Computer Science and Software Engineering
The University of Melbourne
ICT Building, 111, Barry Street, Carlton
Melbourne, VIC 3053, Australia
Phone: +61-3-8344 1344 (office); +61-0431385688 (home)
Fax: +61-3-9348 1184; Email: raj at csse.unimelb.edu.au