[ogsa-wg] Glossary terms for Thursday's call (state definition)

Strong, Paul pstrong at ebay.com
Tue May 1 09:00:37 CDT 2007

I think we need to modify Jem's definition slightly.  A component has to
be manageable before it can be configured.  Thus it exists before it is
configured :o)  This is the goal of the Ref Model life cycle where we
have the notion of -

Extant - the component is manageable, i.e. it can be configured
Configured - the component has been configured sufficently to allow it
to be started
Active - the component is serving the purpose for which it was intended,
i.e. responding to requests, doing a calculation etc.

I find a useful way of thinking about this is that state is really
reflected by attributes that cannot typically be set externally.  Whilst
configuration parameters may be.  Clearly state may be changed by
applying verb externally to a managed component, such as start or stop,
but this is not the same.

Paul