[ogsa-wg] Glossary terms for Thursday's call (state definition)

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Tue May 1 05:30:01 CDT 2007

Michael Behrens wrote:
> Most insightful.  Would the available attributes vary directly with the
> lifecycle state of the resource?  Or would there  simply be a  way to
> categorize attributes and might this affect future resource specifications?

I don't know for sure, but when I raised the point originally I was
thinking that although both "configuration" and "state" are state in the
UML sense, in the "useful grid sense" they're different. Because of
that, we should define them to mean what we want them to mean, and note
in the model/glossary that both are specializations of the more general
notion. This is an application of the Humpty Dumpty Maxim:

    “When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,
    “it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.”
        -- _Alice Through the Looking Glass_, Lewis Carroll

Donal.