[ogsa-wg] [ogsa-authn-bof] Minutes of OGSA-WG + OGSA-AuthZ Joint telephone call 8 Mar 2007

Blair Dillaway blaird at microsoft.com
Fri Mar 9 12:51:32 CST 2007

Nate,

My original statement was:

I see two important aspects to this. First, authorities need to be able to communicate what they are authoritative for (attributes, types of principal identities, ...) so that resource admins can know what they can rely upon in developing authZ policies. Second, resources need to be able to communicate what authenticated information they require (token types, which authorities, ...). WS-SECURITYPOLICY (not WS-SecureConversation) (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/15979/oasis-wssx-ws-securitypolicy-1.0.pdf) could potentially be profiled as a way to do the latter. I'm not aware of an existing std that addresses the former.

NOTE: I met WS-SecurityPolicy, and the supplied reference was to that spec. I can see why referring to WS-SecureConversation was confusing.

In any event, we are talking about the first sentence in which I merely identified a problem area. Nowhere did I suggest WS-SecurityPolicy helps address this. I also did not suggest this should be solved by a protocol or that such information had to be made available on an unrestricted basis. I did suggest a standard way of representing that information would be valuable.

I am interested in whether people think this is a problem worth addressing or if they believe existing approaches are adequate. If there's interest in looking at this problem, many of the issues you brought up should be considered in developing a solution. But, I don't think this thread is the place to start such a design or requirements discussion.

Regards,

Blair Dillaway