[ogsa-wg] [ogsa-authn-bof] Minutes of OGSA-WG + OGSA-AuthZ Joint telephone call 8 Mar 2007

Nate Klingenstein ndk at internet2.edu
Thu Mar 8 17:39:54 CST 2007

Blair & Andrew,

I'm not sure the former -- having authorities describe what they're
authoritative for -- is entirely desirable or practical.  When we
discuss "authoritative for xyz data" in the context of identity
information, I think it's necessary to append "for person abc" for it
to have much meaning.  My IdP isn't your IdP, the same attribute may
be expressed by multiple authorities, and my release policies are
likely to vary by SP, so this appendix adds a great deal of
complexity.  For each SP to manage and interpret the matrix of
attributes/authorizations/identifiers and authorities for every
principal they deal with strikes me as unreasonable and unnecessarily
compromising of privacy.

This gets back to my core philosophy: the IdP should push everything
it can, and for what it can't push(e.g. things it's not authoritative
for), it should push the information needed to retrieve the
additional attributes/authorizations, ideally via a discovery service
associated with that user.  The discovery service can dynamically
handle the user/authority/request pile and collect either raw data or
pointers as appropriate.  If someday there's an intelligent client,
then it can manage attribute and authorization locations for a
principal internally, which is even better.

That said, I do think conversely there's value in SP's advertising
the attributes or authorizations they need in order to reduce the
need for callback queries, as those requirements are likely to be
relatively static and unlikely to vary by IdP or user.

There are additional questions to consider when talking about
attribute metadata, though.  Does some third party, e.g. a federation
or a CA, need to vouch for my IdP's claim that it's able to assert
staff at microsoft.com?  Will that third party be universally trusted by
all the SP's I deal with?

The SP retains, and will always have, the right to validate and
interpret information it receives.  I believe it's the job of the
authorities, intermediaries, and flows to preserve as much of that
information as is practical so the SP has the basis for a decision
once the information arrives.  Whether the SP would like to rely on
the certification of an external authority or its own judgment, it's
able to do so.  Any standard should recognize both sides of this coin.

Anyway, regardless of your own beliefs, the expression of both
attribute expression and request is possible today by using the
<RequestedAttribute> and <saml:Attribute> elements from the SAML 2.0
metadata profile.  Inasmuch as privileges and identifiers
(NameIDFormat can be declared too, FWIW) can be thought of as
attributes, I think this supports what you'd like to do, but not at
the web services layer.  The Higgins project seems to be trying to do
this using WSDL through the IdAS API, but I don't know enough about
it to talk authoritatively.  ID-WSF and WS-Federation have somewhat
coarse-grained abilities to express where attribute information is
located as well.

Does this make any sense to you?
Nate.