[ogsa-wg] [glue-wg] New draft of GLUE 2.0 Specification

Sergio Andreozzi sergio.andreozzi at cnaf.infn.it
Thu Jun 28 07:34:37 CDT 2007

Hi Gerson,

Gerson Galang wrote:
> Thanks for integrating our requirements into the new GLUE 2.0 spec. What
> you have in the draft will work for us now.
>
> The only thing I want to comment on is the ComputingShare's relationship
> with the ComputingResource and ComputingService entities. If a
> ComputingShare is an abstraction of a queue

this is not always the case. That's why we have a different
naming/definition. For instance, in the LSF batch system you can use
hierarchical fair sharing in order to define different utilization
targets for jobs entering the same queue. The scheduling will consider
the group to which the job was mapped.

Therefore you can have, for instance, one queue with three different
utilization targets for group A, B and C or three queues for each of
them. At the GLUE level, they will appear the same, via the share concept.

> and the ComputingElement is
> an abstraction of the Batch System,

in the new version, the batch system is associated to the computing
resource. I realize that we have to clean up the properties list (moving
the batch system specific from computing element to computing resource).

> then there should be a direct >
> association between the ComputingShare and the ComputingElement. Having
> the ComputingShare linked to the ComputingService will introduce a
> number of replicated instances of the same ComputingShare on all the
> ComputingServices which is not really necessary. Attached is the diagram
> again to refresh your memory on what I think it should look like.
> Anyway, just my 2 cents..

I think the relationship between a share and the service is needed
because you can expose a certain share via a certain service, while
another share with another service. You should be able to know which
share for which resource is accessible via a certain service interface.

We will add detailed information in the doc revision.

Cheers, Sergio