[ogsa-wg] [OGSA-AUTHZ] [ogsa-authn-bof] Notes from Joint OGSA WG AuthN/AuthZ call

Tom Scavo trscavo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 19:59:41 CDT 2007

At a recent OGF AuthZ WG meeting (OGF19 or 20, I forget, but it's in
the minutes), I mentioned the need for an X.509 Binding for SAML
Assertions.  We do this already in Globus CAS and GridShib, but it
needs to be vetted and refined.

I recently learned about a project in EU that is binding XACML to
X.509, so perhaps we need a more general X.509 Binding for XML with
separate profiles for SAML, XACML, and so forth.

Once we have a standard X.509 Binding, we can profile attribute-based
authz using both pushed and pulled SAML assertions.  We've implemented
a prototype along these lines and numerous issues have come up, which
need vetting and further discussion.

And finally there is the wholly unexplored territory of proxied SAML
assertions, which most people believe are necessary to bridge campuses
and grids, but there's absolutely no agreement how this should be
done.

Tom Scavo
NCSA