[ogsa-wg] [OGSA-D-WG] Definition of "data service"

Dave Berry daveb at nesc.ac.uk
Tue Jul 24 03:42:33 CDT 2007

I attach the current glossary definitions from the OGSA Data WG.  The
definitions of data service & data resource are as follows:

Data resource:
An entity (and its associated framework) that provides a data access
mechanism or can act as a data source or data sink.

Data service:
A service that provides interfaces to the capabilities and data of one
or more data resources within a service-oriented architecture.

When I adapted the OGSA 1.5 document to use the latest definitions from
the OGSA Data WG, I realised we still needed a term to describe all the
related services as well.  The current proposal is to use the term "Data
Management Services" (which mirrors "Execution Management Services"):
In OGSA, the capability concerned with the storage, description, access,
update, location, transfer and other management of data.

For the record, there are just two terms left to define in the attached
file.  I think we need to define "data staging" because this is a term
that many people in the industry at large are not familiar with.  We
probably also need a definition of "storage management" (or possibly
just "storage").

Best wishes,

Dave.

  _____