[ogsa-wg] [OGSA-D-WG] Definition of "data service"

guru prasad guru_bn at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 6 16:47:49 CDT 2007

Thank you for your comments Allen.

In that case I vote for Dave Berry's definition:

"A service that provides interfaces to the capabilities and data of one or more data resources within a service-oriented architecture."

and the Data Resource is .....

Allen Luniewski <luniew at us.ibm.com> wrote:  My comments below.

 Allen Luniewski
 IBM Cross Brand Services
 IBM Silicon Valley Laboratory
 555 Bailey Ave.
 San Jose, CA 95141

 408-463-2255
 408-930-1844 (mobile)

 guru prasad <guru_bn at yahoo.com> wrote on 07/06/2007 12:46:49 PM:

 > In essence, it is clear with the discussions we have been having
 > that it is not enough to define a data service as something that
 > "exposes the capabilities and data of data resource".
 >
 > I agree to dave's definition. However, I think we need to define
 > Data Resource in conjunction with the definition of the Data
 > Service. I have also compiled all the comments we are exchanging

 See my note below.  We have done this as part of the Data Architecture.  I believe that the definitions of data resource and data service are consistent with one another

 > back and forth in this single mail.
 >

 > Quesiton 1:
 >  If the Data Service is advertising the capabilities and the data,
 > will the onus be on the data resource to provide QoS.

 No.  The data service is responsible for agreeing to, and providing, QoS.  Obviously it will do using whatever capabilities the data resource provides.  Moreover, it is quite reasonable to expect that the ability of a data service to provide QoS is constrained by the QoS capabilities of the data resource.  But that is an implementation issue and not one that the user of the data service is aware of.

 > Say for example: My data service says that a data resource provides
 > "copy" feature on a certain data. Then who should ensure that copy
 > feature is available, and upon invoking with right credentials and
 > parameters that it "copy" is successful? Will that be data resource?
 > or the me who is invoking the "copy" capaibility?

 In all cases, the answer is the data service.

 > This is important because the definitions we have/are
 > proposed/proposing do not make these vital things clear. All we are
 > saying is service exposes capabilities and the data while the data
 > resource that holds the data and provides various mechanisms to
 > access the data.
 >
 > Question 2:
 >
 > What about the possibility of a single data source and different
 > capabilities on that source provided by different data resources.

 As posed, this is an issue outside of the context of the data architecture - the operations provided by a data resource are outside of the architecture.  To put your question differently, it is quite possible, and reasonable, for their to be many data services that use the same data resource.

 > For Example: I am a employee table. I have a "update" capability
 > from data resource one on view1. I have "add" capability provided by
 > data resource two on view2. Effectively, I am still the same physical table.

 This question is outside of the data architecture since you are proposing a direct interaction with the data resource.  If I substitute "data service" for "data resource" in your question, then the operations you can perform are dependent on whether you access via view1 or view2.  In this example, the effect will to make changes to the same data resource.