[ogsa-wg] [OGSA-D-WG] Definition of "data service"

guru prasad guru_bn at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 12:54:02 CDT 2007

This brings me to this question: What is the difference between and data source and a data resource?

 Is former just the container for data and latter is responsible for managing one or more data sources?

Mario Antonioletti <mario at epcc.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
Hi,

> Currently we're looking at something like the following:
>
>  A service that exposes the capabilities or data of one or more
> data resources within a service-oriented architecture.

I think it should be "the capabilities and data" as opposed to "or".
Similarly for the definition below. However, I think the one above
is more succinct and thus gets my vote.

> or
>
>  A service that exposes the capabilities of one or more data
> resources within a service-oriented architecture.  These capabilities
> might include data access, data transfer or data management.

Mario