[ogsa-wg] Ethnographic Study of the OGSA-WG

Zack Kertcher kertcher at uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 29 21:59:13 CST 2007

Dear OGSA-WG Member:

Following the session today—and for those of you who did not
attend the 4PM session—I would like to provide additional
details about my ethnographic research of the OGF.

My name is Zack Kertcher and I am a researcher in the
department of sociology at the University of Chicago. I am
conducting a study that will look at the ways in which the
grid community works to standardize grid technology.

The primary motivation for this study is that despite a well
established sociological tradition that examines science and
technology, we know very little about the social underpinnings
of open standardization, and, particularly, of standardization
efforts that involve such a culturally and socially diverse
community as the OGF.

The OGSA-WG was selected to participate in the study based on
a number of criteria, particularly for its significance to the
standardization efforts. The research involves ethnographic
observations of your group, in addition to two other groups of
the OGF, as well as interviews with 30-50 selected members of
the OGF community. This collected information will be used in
published research as well as in academic presentations. (If
you are unfamiliar with this type of research, "Epistemic
Cultures: How the Sciences Make Knowledge"
http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/KNOEPI.html is a good
example).

The ethnographic observational component of the study includes
a continuous documentation of the interactions of members of
the work groups throughout the duration of the study, for
approximately one year. Attending public meetings, listening
to telephone conferences of the work group, and subscribing to
the public mailing list all serve this purpose. Participation
of the work group in the study is on a purely voluntary basis.

Members of the studied work groups are entitled to a free copy
of the study report that summarizes the study and its key
findings. The study report is expected to be available at the
beginning of 2009. You may also choose to receive a copy of
the full study. I will send an email to you through the
OGSA-WG’s list server when the report is available.

If at any time and for any reason, you prefer your
participation in the work group not to be documented, you are
free not to. If at any time you would like to stop the
observation, please tell me. We can stop and continue at a
later date, or stop altogether.

As a part of the study I would like to tape record the
interaction of the work group so as to make sure that I
remember accurately all the information discussed, especially
the technical details. Note that pseudonyms will be used to
mask the identity of work group members, as well as the name
of the work group. The recordings will only be used by me.
These data (including my typed notes) will be stored securely
and encrypted to avoid a potential breach of confidentiality.

If you prefer the work group be observed without you being
taped, or if you would like me to turn off the tape at any
point just let me know.

If you have questions you may contact me at:

Zack Kertcher
Department of Sociology, University of Chicago
1126 East 59th Street
Chicago, Illinois 60637
Phone: (773) 493-3360
Mobile: (773) 931-6227
Email: kertcher at uchicago.edu

If you have any questions about your rights as participants in
this research, you can contact the following office at the
University of Chicago:

Social & behavioral sciences institutional review board
University of Chicago
5835 south Kimbark - Judd 121
Chicago, Il 60637
Phone: (773) 834-7835
Fax: (773) 834-8700
Email: sbsirbwise at listhost.uchicago.edu

Thank you for your participation.

I am looking forward to a productive and interesting year!

Sincerely,

Zack Kertcher

Zack Kertcher
Department of Sociology