[ogsa-wg] [ogsa-authn-bof] Authentication in OGSA

Blair Dillaway blaird at microsoft.com
Mon Jan 22 14:11:30 CST 2007

(adding the other authors back to this thread)

This discussion, and a side conversation with Alan, makes me think a
little more context may be useful.  I can agree with the comments by
Alan and others since I believe they are considering different
requirements and priorities.

As background, I first discussed the HPC Profile WG's security
requirements with the chairpersons at SC06. A reason for that discussion
was to see if their requirements could be met as part of the more
general OGSA-AuthN proposal, OGSA-AuthZ, etc.  While we generally agreed
those efforts may meet the security requirements in the long term, the
HPC Profile WG needs a very near term interoperability solution for the
HPC base use case. That use case only considers intra-domain use of HPC
compute resources with batch job scheduling. The solution also needs to
be compatible with existing products  and customer environments to allow
for rapid adoption.

These requirements drove the draft the document under discussion. The
rationale for supporting TLS/SSL and X.509-based authentication is
probably well understood and not terribly controversial. There are a
couple of important reasons for also supporting username-password client
authentication. First, some existing HPC products only support this
mechanism. Second, many organizations are unwilling to deploy and manage
an X.509 client certification infrastructure solely for internal access
control.

Its perfectly reasonable to debate the HPC requirements and the proposed
authN mechanisms, but that isn't the focus of this thread.

As Alan has stated, he is focused on grid authN use cases. I agree with
him, and the reasons cited, why username-password authN is inappropriate
for many grid environments. I think the only real issue here is whether
there are interesting grid uses cases for which the proposed HPC profile
authN mechanisms are suitable. If so, then perhaps broader usage
guidance appropriate should be incorporated into the document. I do
agree its inappropriate to ask the HPC Profile WG to wait for some
future activity to address their current needs.

Regards,
Blair Dillaway