[ogsa-wg] Authentication in OGSA

Andrew Grimshaw grimshaw at cs.virginia.edu
Thu Jan 18 14:16:02 CST 2007

All,

On this mornings call I volunteered to see what was up with the HPC profile
working group with respect to authentication.  Recall that we need some sort
of authentication story in the short run or we cannot put together any form
or realistic, cross-organizational, compute grids with BES, or for that
matter data grids using RNS/ByteIO.

Attached is a short white paper from the HPC Profile WG (or maybe just the
three authors). It is BES-specific, but I think the ideas may be generalized
to a broader set of OGSA services. I think we should consider it, or
something like it.

Note that it does NOT deal with the ultimate authentication and delegation
problem that we will face. Rather, I personally (speaking only for myself,
and not even the people in my research group) think that this sort of
solution is a stop gap that we can use for awhile, and that we will
ultimately deprecate in favor of whatever comes out of the
OGSA-Authentication WG.

So, for your reading pleasure - and with my thanks to Marty for giving me a
copy.

Andrew Grimshaw

Professor of Computer Science

University of Virginia