[ogsa-wg] OGSA Glossary v1.6: Final Call

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Dec 6 03:33:52 CST 2007

Treadwell, Jem wrote:
> If you have comments please let me have them by CoB this Friday,
> December 7^th .  If any comments are minor (e.g. typos, formatting,
> minor wordsmithing) I’ll incorporate them and submit the document for
> publication next Monday, December 10^th .  If I receive more serious
> comments I’ll ask Hiro to schedule time for discussion on an upcoming
> telecon, at which we’ll agree either to address them before publication
> or to create trackers and defer them for the next version.

Minor points.

  Attribute - should be in there, as link to 'state'.

  Entity - should mention that entities may have state.

  Self-management - the second paragraph sounds like an advert. Maybe
        this can be fixed through minor wordsmithing so that the it says
        that "A self-managing IT infrastructure _should be_ less complex
        etc."

  TCP - the definition omits the important fact that this protocol
        provides a stream-oriented model (i.e. a sequence of bytes) of
        data transfer to applications.

More significant point.

The definitions of EPS and CSG are at variance with what the OGSA-RSS-WG
has interpreted them to mean. Of particular importance is the fact that
we have identified the requirement for an abstract notion of a set of
candidates for some particular activity or interaction, independent of
whether that activity relates to execution management (and which is what
we named a CSG). We then made an EPS into a profile of a CSG such that
it is useful for execution management.

Donal.