[ogsa-wg] Nov 29 - Info Model call minutes

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Dec 3 04:15:08 CST 2007

Sergio Andreozzi wrote:
> The aspect of extensibility is secondary to this and is present because
> is a requirement from many parties. The fact that the abstract GLUE
> Information Model (represented using the object-oriented constructs of
> UML Class diagrams) is rendered on different concrete data models (XML
> Schema, relational and LDAP) makes it difficult to delegate at the
> concrete data model level the extensibility aspects. "Hooks" are
> currently present at the information model level and can be used to
> advertise information that is not currently captured by the
> specification without waiting for a new spec version. The GLUE Spec is
> deliberately not rigorous in defining the format of the content of the
> extensibility points.

My point was that the information model should state what (in general)
the information is (e.g. a set of properties) without stating the format
of that information (which is the data model's job). At least back in
the GLUE session in OGF21 those two aspects were a bit mixed up. (Or at
least as far as I could see at the time; I may have got a false
impression. :-))

This isn't to say that the data model shouldn't be worked on. Just that
the split between the two is important.

Donal.