[ogsa-wg] Nov 29 - Info Model call minutes

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Dec 2 06:54:07 CST 2007

Sergio Andreozzi wrote:
> Ellen Stokes ha scritto:
>> One observation on your modified diagram....what do you mean by
>> 'Resource Model'?
>>
>> In OGSA, we use the terms information model (abstract) and data model
>> (concrete)....we do not use or define resource model since it is an
>> ambiguous term.
>
> yes, Information Model is a better term in that case. GLUE is a possible
> instance. I attach the modified version.

I think you need to be careful with GLUE since that's very close to
defining both an information model and a data model, making it easy to
get confused. For example of how they differ, an information model might
say that a particular class supports an extensible list of properties
(other than the standard set it defines) and the data model would say
what format that list of properties must take (e.g. XML document, Java
properties format, comma-separated list, etc.) It's the information
model that it is important to standardize at the architectural level,
since it is fairly easy to code up data model transformations (though
those matter much more for specific protocols).

Donal.