[ogsa-wg] OGSA/OGF URI for non-bound or non-functional EPRs

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Aug 31 19:13:45 CDT 2007

Dave Berry wrote:
> In ther OGSA Data Architecture document we suggest that URI's are needed
> to name transport protocols, access interfaces, and query languages.  I
> would be surprised if this list were exhaustive.
>
> ByteIO, of course, have made a start on naming SOAP transport protocols
> (SwA, MTOM and DIME).

There's a whole zoo of such things. One of my favourites (only suitable
for small files though) is the data: url type (RFC 2397) which puts the
information directly inline in the message. OK, it's very inefficient,
but it shows how there are many different ways to approach the problem.
Trawling the RFCs for other URL "protocols" may be worthwhile.

Donal.