[ogsa-wg] [glue-wg] OGSA Information Services

Gerson Galang gerson.sapac at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 07:26:19 CDT 2007

Hi all,

I don't have anything against having another layer sitting on top of all
different Grid information systems implementation but I'm just not sure if
that model will scale.

I got interested in this discussion because I'm developing an application
which is somewhat related to what I'm going to recommend below. The
application is being developed for the Australian Grid users and developers
and is going to be used in querying an MDS4 index service which uses the
GLUE 1.2 schema. We have specified our own query language for querying the
information system because we didn't want developers to write XPath queries
if they directly interact with MDS4. As you know a very simple resource
condition in an info systems query can turn out to be a very long query
string when converted into XPath especially XPath 1.1 which is what MDS4
only understands.

This group should probably look into implementing a similar generic Grid
info systems client application for all the Grid info systems
implementations around the world. Since the plan is to use the GLUE schema,
there won't be any issues with specifying a standard query language that
users can use with this client. The client will need to be able to query a
"registry of endpoints" service to get information about the endpoint, query
implementation (eg. wsrf/mds4, mds2, etc), and the query language (xpath,
xquery, ldap, sql) to use for the info systems. The client will be the one
in charge of transforming the user's query into the respective query
languages used by the different Grid information systems implementations. I
think we'll get a quicker response if we query the "registry of endpoints"
service than the top level information system which indexes all the Grid
resource information around the world.

Our application can only handle a very simple query at the moment. See link
below..

https://www.grid.apac.edu.au/repository/svn/infosystems/GlueSchemaQueryLib/README

but we have plans of extending the language later on to support queries like
"(Site.Latitude > 0 and Site.Latitude < 50)". Composing a query for the GLUE
schema shouldn't be that hard. The only thing which makes the query
complicated is the language we use in querying the Grid info systems.

I'm just not sure if what we are implementing is something you would want to
look into.

Regards,
Gerson