[ogsa-wg] OGSA Information Services

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Aug 2 03:59:46 CDT 2007

Hiro Kishimoto wrote:
> Per Felix's request, I've upload revised draft onto the GridForge.
>    https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc14692
> We will discuss it at Thursday's call.

Just so I remember, here are the things that occur to me on reading the
summary and going over the rest of the document quickly:

  Query Interface standardization is a good thing, but there will need to
     be a standard basic set of information that can be counted on to be
     there for this to be really useful (not just a common model, but a
     realistic possibility of making a query to an arbitrary instance and
     getting a result).

  Registry standardization is again a good thing, but again there needs
     to be some kind of profile to describe what endpoints go in and how
     they are looked up (by name, by property?)

  Information Provider standardization is likely to be very hard, and
     probably coupled to the idea of a "standard middleware platform".

Since a registry is really about the query interface anyway (I'm much
less certain about standardization of mechanisms for registry updating)
I'm left wondering if we can reuse concepts between the first two items
and avoid the third at least for now.

Donal.