[ogsa-wg] Glossary terms for Thursday's call (state definition)

Treadwell, Jem jem.treadwell at hp.com
Thu Apr 26 09:00:21 CDT 2007

Paul/Donal/All,
Thanks for the comments, and sorry to be slow in responding - I'm not
able to work on this quite as much these days :(
Now that I've taken time to read Paul's comment and Donal's response a
little more carefully, I think Donal makes an excellent point - I would
expect that an entity would exist only after it has been configured. Its
configuration attributes would *contribute* to its state, but would not
be a part of it unless the details are associated with (*maybe*
contained within) the entity, are visible to some external observer
(possibly a debugger), and might change.
I'm happy to add a little more explanation in the definition if anyone
thinks it would be helpful. For example, at the end of Para 1 I could
add:
  Configuration attributes typically affect an entity's initial state,
  but would not be considered to be part of the state unless they
  can be changed during the entity's lifetime, and thus affect its
  behavior.
Other suggestions welcome!
- Jem

Behalf