[ogsa-wg] Glossary terms for Thursday's call

Treadwell, Jem jem.treadwell at hp.com
Thu Apr 12 13:06:26 CDT 2007

Hi,

Thanks to all those who joined today's call for the glossary segment -
we had an excellent discussion that resulted in agreement on definitions
for state, resource and service.

The agreed-upon definitions (with some minor post-meeting wordsmithing)
are below - please take a look, and let me know if you have any
comments.  I'll move them into the draft document if there are no
objections by Monday - after that you can still comment at any time, and
there will, of course, be a review period for the full document later.

Thanks!

-          Jem

-

State: An entity's state is the combined values of its "interesting"
attributes.  Interesting attributes are those for which external
observers may see changes over time.  Examples include the position of a
switch, the price of a stock, or the amount of memory allocated to a
process.

Since not all attributes may be available or interesting to all possible
observers, different observers may have different views of the state of
an entity at a given time.

A change in state is an event.

Resource: A resource is a physical or logical entity that supports use
or operation of a computing application or environment.

In a Grid context the term encompasses entities that provide a
capability or capacity (e.g., servers, networks, disks, memory,
applications, databases, IP addresses, and software licenses).  Dynamic
entities such as processes, print jobs, database query results and
virtual organizations may also be represented and handled as resources.

Service: A service in the most general sense is an entity, usually
composed of one or more software components, that provides functionality

A service is often a part of a service-oriented architecture, and
participates in realizing one or more capabilities.

For example, an electronic bookstore application is a service, and its
database component provides a database service to the bookstore.  Thus
high-level services may be decomposed into lower-level constituent
services.  In general, a service and all of its decomposable
sub-services are considered to be components.

Jem Treadwell
Software Engineer

HP Software
856.638.6021 office | 856.638.6190 fax | jem.treadwell at hp.com
6000 Irwin Road | Mount Laurel | NJ 08054
www.hp.com/go/software

  <http://www.hp.com/go/software>