[ogsa-wg] FW: Workflow and Altair (PBS)

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Apr 12 05:42:01 CDT 2007

Andrew Grimshaw (as channeled by AS) wrote:
> He wondered if workflow was the best place for OGSA to spend its
> efforts? Security was mentioned.

willing to work on workflows and the set working on security are not the
same (e.g. I don't personally want to work on security standardization!)
so saying that we should drop dealing with one in favour of the other
isn't really going to work.

> They’re interested in whatever we do with workflow, but not in a burning
> sort of way.

I suspect that the most valuable thing at the workflow level would be if
we had some common way of describing workflows in a way that is relevant
for grids. I suspect that the best way of couching this is to ask "what
is the best way of describing an abstract workflow to a workflow
enactment engine", such that something like JSDL documents form
components of the workflow request. While a BPEL profile could be used
for this, I suspect that it's not at the right level; too much is about
the messages sent to the services, and not enough is about the
activities triggered in response to said messages.

Donal (probably not explaining this right).