[ogsa-wg] Proposed agenda for Sept. 28th call

Takuya Mori moritaku at bx.jp.nec.com
Wed Sep 27 12:04:50 CDT 2006

Hi all,

> 3) Security Profile final review (Takuya, 60 min)
>          Takuya will revise two security profiles before the call.

I uploaded the two profles.

OGSA Basic Security Profile 1.0 - Core:
https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/docman/do/downloadDocument/projects.ogsa-wg/docman.root.working_drafts.security_profile_1_0/doc13561/11

OGSA Security Profile 1.0 - Secure Channel:
https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/docman/do/downloadDocument/projects.ogsa-wg/docman.root.working_drafts.security_profile_1_0/doc13560/21

>  > From Sept. 7 call
>    AI-0907b: Takuya will search for an external reliable source of
>              strong (or deprecated) ciphers to reference.

The followoing document will be a reliable source for recommended
ciphersuites.

Guidelines for the Selection and Use of Transport Layer Security (TLS)
Implementations, National Institute of Standards and Technology, June 2005.
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-52/SP800-52.pdf

There are some other sources available, but these only provides with
recommended algorithm primitives.

For example:
EU: NESSIE, "Portfolio of recommended cryptographic primitives", 2003.
https://www.cosic.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/nessie/deliverables/decision-final.pdf

Japan: MIC and METI, "Recommended cipher list for e-Government", 2003.
http://www.soumu.go.jp/joho_tsusin/security/pdf/cryptrec_01.pdf
(Japanese)

Ciphersuites are combinations of four algorithm primitives, so these
two lists itself are insufficient as source of recommended ciphersuites.

We could also define our own recommended ciphersuites based on the
algorithm primitives listed in the EU and Japanese documents above
as well as the NIST guideline document, but I think just refering to
the NIST gudeline document is enough for our purpose.

Thanks in advance,
Takuya