[ogsa-wg] Materials for tomorrows call

Subramaniam, Ravi ravi.subramaniam at intel.com
Thu Nov 30 15:45:03 CST 2006

Hi Andrew,

I'd echo the points raised by Steve/Ian/Donal but appreciate what I
think may be your motivation for this exercise (some simple definition
of workflows that OGSA services can work with). I think the key is "that
which OGSA services can work with".

I think a simpler approach may be to define clearly what OGSA services
expect (semantics, formats) from workflow services and what control
points are to be exposed by these services to allow OGSA services to
"manage" these workflow services and/or the workflows they instantiate
and drive. Given this OGSA would specify an "OGSA"(?) query/command
interface that services would additionally expose/implement (in addition
to what they already implement/expose i.e. a composition). OGSA services
would then issue requests (that adhered to this standard) and get
would be required for example in a scheduling decision. A response for
scheduling for example would define the nodes and connections (which
might look somewhat like your example) so that a scheduler can
understand dependencies.

The request/command interface may also support operations like to launch
a workflow, rewind a workflow etc (some of these commands may also mimic
BES requests). We need a standard (OGSA compatible) way to interact with
workflow engines and workflows but probably not a new WFDL. Even in
defining these interaction interfaces we should be careful not to
"reinvent the wheel" if there is standards which we can define a
*profile* to simplify for OGSA needs.

Defining, building and describing these workflows would be outside the
purview of this exercise and this is where the large body of work can be
leveraged by the solution implementers.

Ravi