[ogsa-wg] One-way SML session

Hiro Kishimoto hiro.kishimoto at jp.fujitsu.com
Thu Nov 30 04:05:24 CST 2006

Hi all,

In July 2006, Microsoft, IBM, HP, Intel and several other companies
have published "service modeling language (SML)." This is a XML based
language specification and expected to be used to model complex IT
services and systems, including their structure, constraints, policies,
and best practices. SML is based on a profile on XML Schema and
Schematron.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/dsi/serviceml.mspx

This spec is still proprietary and authors are going to submit it
to one of SDOs maybe early next year (Q1).

OGSA-WG has discussed benefits and risks to learn and evaluate this
proprietary specification at Nov. 2nd call and the last F2F meeting.
Benefits includes knowing emerging technology in advance and risks
includes IPR issues.

The authors can give us education but Microsoft's Web Services Workshop
rules apply, meaning they can talk but no feedback allowed unless OGF
signs a contributer agreement form (which is not permitted).

My proposal is to have one-way educational session under authors
auspices (most likely special dial-in but may be one of our weekly
day/time slots). And then we will switch to our regular dial-in and
start to discuss without authors.

Please let me know your thoughts. If we can get rough consensus
of having such one-way session. I will schedule it in the week of
Dec. 11 or January.