[ogsa-wg] BES Comments

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Nov 24 07:57:05 CST 2006

Strong, Paul wrote:
> vii) Do you expect to extend the BES model to activities
> that are not binaries running on operating systems?

Such activity extensions do fit some of the ideas that have been
floating around in the JSDL group for a few years now. In particular,
activities might include things like database queries, webservice
invokations, and data transfers. None of those three have had any
serious effort into design of a real JSDL extension though, and there
are some complexities in the understanding of the meaning of the concept
of a resource in some of the cases.

Given that, and the fact that BES is a JSDL enactment engine spec, I'd
say that extending in the way you suggest is distinctly possible. The
priority of what gets done when depends on who turns up to do the work,
as always... :-)

Donal.