[ogsa-wg] Re: [cddlm] Basic POSIX Component & template draft

Steve Loughran steve_loughran at hpl.hp.com
Mon May 8 14:14:19 CDT 2006

Dave Berry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It sounds like you're having interesting discussions.  What concerns me
> is how does this work relate to:
>
> - the hierarchical naming level of the OGSA naming system?

CDL names are only scoped to the current deployment. You want to talk to
something outside it, you need help, which could include components that
do directory lookups. Very high on my todo list is to do some bridging
between JNDI and the HP smartfrog/cddlm runtime, so that deployed stuff
can access the graph of deployed components as if it were a JNDI
directory tree. That's just so that you can design libraries that are
fully decoupled from any particular deployment framework -all they need
to know is the jndi URL to get their configuration. I think I will stop
there; LDAP scares me.

> - the work of the Grid File System working group?
>
> - ByteIO?
>
> - the OGSA Data Architecture?
>
> Dave.

If what you are deploying is aware of stuff like OGSA--DAI, ByteIO, etc,
you dont need all the file staging stuff, because it can talk direct to
the services. What will still need is consistent configuration of things
across your deployment, so different stuff running on different boxes
all get the same pointers to the same remote data sources to work with.
normal, non-lazy CDL bindings can share that kind of static information.

-steve