[ogsa-wg] Re: [cddlm] Basic POSIX Component & template draft

Steve Loughran steve_loughran at hpl.hp.com
Mon May 8 14:08:16 CDT 2006

Hiro Kishimoto wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Your file & filesystem components are very good. They are what
> I am looking for.

I'd say they are a start. What is important is to have things that are
generally useful yet at a high enough level to avoid a deployment
descriptor evolving into a workflow script listing every single pre-and
post- staging operation that takes place. The TempDir component example
is a good one -it not only creates a temporary directory, it cleans it
up on closedown. You could imagine an extension which added purging of
files over 72 hours old to keep transient directories from overflowing
on a long-running deployment. The higher level the components are, the
more useful declarative deployment becomes. Otherwise you are writing
shell scripts in XML, which is nearly the worst of all possible worlds.

The other goal is to integrate with all the other work, not, as Dave
Berry indirectly hints, try and repeat the work. I'd envisage staging
components that set up paths to stuff in ACS repositories or other data
sources. Its not the job of the deployment descriptor to say how that
stuff gets close, only that at deployment time, the deployed program
needs to know the path to where the stuff they want is. All we need is
re-usable components that make use of all the file system/staging/data
stuff being done to set things up right at deploy time, clean up when
terminating, and to check for valid configurations and health at deploy
time.

>One more question I have in my mind is how to
> set user-id, group-id, and permissions to deployed files.

For Java implementations, you wait for Java 6 or execute chmod programs.
Most irritatingly, Java operations to copy a file inherit back to the
current defaults, not those of the source file. Over in Ant-land, this
is a continous source of support calls, right up there with "no easy way
to work with symlinks" and file case sensitivity problems in terms of
where Java-on-portable-filesystem's limitations poke through.

-Steve