[ogsa-wg] Straw man design proposal for HPC profile

Marvin Theimer theimer at microsoft.com
Sat May 6 02:55:26 CDT 2006

Hi;

The virtual design effort around the HPC Profile initiative has created
a use case document, has discussed extension mechanisms, and has
received a straw man design proposal from Ian Foster and Dave Snelling.
Chris Smith and I have put together a second straw man design proposal
so that we have two different proposals to discuss at the HPC Profile
BoF in Tokyo next week.  That proposal is included as an attachment to
this email.

Whereas Ian and Dave's ESI design had as its primary focus a unification
of the Globus and Unicore designs, the focus of Chris and my design
proposal is an evolutionary design in which there is a base case and
numerous optional extensions.  Of course, it also represents our views
on how we think the HPC profile should look. :-)

The enclosed paper is intentionally an unfinished design since our goal
is to engender discussion and obtain feedback from the grid community
for the HPC Profile effort.  So we invite comments and feedback, both in
email to this mailing list and in person during the BoF next week in
Tokyo.

Thanks,

Marvin (and Chris).