[ogsa-wg] Thoughts on extensions mechanisms for the HPC profile work

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Wed May 3 04:40:01 CDT 2006

Balle, Susanne wrote:
> I think this is a good start. I did find some areas missing such as
> Workflow and support for Job Dependencies as well as extensions for
> MPI/UPC programs.

None of those are base cases. They're just very useful extensions. :-)

The JSDL-WG is currently working on defining a spec for describing
parallel (e.g. MPI) job requests, an area chosen because there was
considerable community interest (if we didn't, several different groups
of people stated they'd go off and do their own lash-ups, indicating
that the need is urgent). With that, I'd imagine that the main
requirement would then be a "parallel-aware" BES container, and that it
would be the responsibility of such a system to act as a facade and hide
the details from the largely-uninterested users.

Donal.