[ogsa-wg] Paper proposing "evolutionary vertical design efforts"

Marvin Theimer theimer at microsoft.com
Wed Mar 22 21:10:35 CST 2006

Hi;

You raise good questions -- all of which are reasonable things to try to
address in one or more extensions.

Concerning the high throughput community, my impression has been that
many (but by no means all) workloads consist of essentially idempotent
jobs, so that providing at-most-once semantics isn't that crucial since
running a job more than once by accident doesn't really hurt anything.
What the client wants is to one-way-or-another get results back for all
the work items to be done.  I don't quite understand your reference to
statistical failure rates and would be interested to learn more about
what you mean.  It seems to me that a client will keep resubmitting jobs
until he gets answers back for all of the work items they represent,
irrespective of random or non-random failure rates in job processing.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the workloads you have in mind.

Thanks,
Marvin.