[ogsa-wg] Paper proposing "evolutionary vertical design efforts"

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Tue Mar 21 22:06:48 CST 2006

Trying to wrap several tangents back together here...

I agree that at-most-once submission could be supported by an "almost
universally used extension" and everyone should be happy on that
front. Having a few extensions such as the "hold+release" and
"annotation" might even be workable if less than ideal.

What is less desirable is having many different extensions that "sort
of" provide it, so that a typical heterogeneous-environment
client/metascheduler must mode switch with every remote scheduler to
try to get the same QoS, because they each have a different mechanism.
The thing I fear more would be when the client/metascheduler cannot
even detect the presence of extensions and must utilize detailed
out-of-band knowledge to perform this feat of re-synthesizing reliable
submission.

As for your other comments, I suspect we are all being too abstract to
communicate.  I cannot imagine what it is about the "common HPC use
cases" that is mutually exclusive of the "grid HPC use cases", so I
have trouble understanding the dichotomy you are implying.  In my
world-view, the Grid case is the common use case with additional
federation and distribution complexities.

I think the crux of the issue for practical interoperability is
defining the extension discovery mechanism(*) AND getting
community-based standardization for some actual everyday extensions,
and it sounds like we may agree on that point.  If this part is not of
primary focus, I believe interop will fail and the rest of the
discussion would be pointless.

karl

(*) Extension discovery problem: to determine what extensions are
supported by a service endpoint in order to customize the request, not
to be confused with the harder and almost as critical extension-aware
discovery problem: to choose an appropriate service endpoint based on
the availability of extensions one wishes to employ.

On Mar 21, Marvin Theimer modulated:

--
Karl Czajkowski
karlcz at univa.com