[ogsa-wg] Proposed agenda for July 13th call

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Jul 12 05:42:27 CDT 2006

Hiro Kishimoto wrote:
>> From June 8 call
>
> - EMS team (Steven, Andreas, Donal) to review data staging scenario
>   (section 5 of https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc13591?nav=1 )
>   Bring to people's attention again at the next EMS call.
>   (postpone until June 29)

I've finally had some time to review that document. The principal things
about the detailed scenario from an EMS perspective are:

    Service instances are chosen (including any deployment) before the
    commencement of the scenario. A question they don't address is
    whether moving the computation to the data would be better.

    There is a probably application-specific service to build the input
    data sets for the parameter space exploration.

    There is a need for some kind of parameter space exploration support
    at the job description level.

    The use of the phrase "results database" could be substituted with
    "renamed output files" and the scenario would still work.

    There is a post-processing phase to be applied to the output data
    which the scenario does not properly highlight.

    A more sensible structure might involve some kind of Orchestration
    service (e.g. based on workflows) to control the parameterized input
    data creation and the maintenance of a high throughput resource pool
    to perform the actual parameterized simulations. There are probably
    some interesting EMS topics relating to the maintenance of such a
    processing pool.

In short, it's a very crude sketch. I think that what would be far more
useful would be to merge this with some of the EMS scenarios to form a
combined OGSA Parameter Space Exploration use-case. But that's a lot of
work to do since it looks like the compute and the data people are
failing to see eye-to-eye (again). Since I go on vacation tomorrow, I'll
have to leave that to others. :-)

As a side note (having skim-read through the rest of the data scenarios
doc) I believe that some of the things I've been thinking about for the
EPS spec are likely to be useful in the selection of Data-related
resources. All that changes really (at the interface level) are the
input request language and the candidate description language. For
compute tasks JSDL is a suitable base, but I don't know if there is an
equivalent common basis possible for data tasks. I suppose that's really
an issue to feed back to the data people (but their section 7 reminds me
a lot of things I've been working on). Another question is whether the
EPS is in some sense an aspect of a Registry.

Looks like we'll need to iterate this as I suspect there are a number of
reusable concepts that are being independently reinvented. Hope you get
the chance to pursue this at the F2F.

Donal.