[ogsa-wg] Update on OGSA HPC Profile WG (incl. LAST CALL on use-case doc)

Marty Humphrey humphrey at cs.virginia.edu
Mon Jul 10 10:07:45 CDT 2006

Cross-posting, as per Hiro's request...

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ogsa-hpcp-wg at ggf.org [mailto:owner-ogsa-hpcp-wg at ggf.org] On
Behalf Of Marty Humphrey
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 7:39 AM
To: ogsa-hpcp-wg at ggf.org
Cc: 'Marty Humphrey'
Subject: [ogsa-hpcp-wg] Update on OGSA HPC Profile WG (incl. LAST CALL on
use-case doc)

Folks,

As the OGSA F2F is next week, Marvin and I thought it would a good time to
recap our group's progress to date.

At GGF17 in Tokyo, we outlined three deliverables for the group: OGSA HPC
Use Cases (GFD-I; first draft: Apr 2006, ready for public comments: July
2006), OGSA HPC profile specification (GFD-R.P; first draft: Aug 2006; ready
for public comments: Nov 2006), and OGSA HPC initial common cases extension
profile specification (GFD-R.P; first draft: Jan 2007; ready for public
comments: Apr 2007).

The OGSA HPC Use Cases document was discussed extensively this Spring, so
we'd like to issue a "LAST CALL" on this document, which has recently been
reformatted to GGF specification:
https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc13649?nav=1 . Comments must be made by
of 7/17/06 to be reflected in the document that will go into the "public
comments" area of GGF (of course, you are free to make comments during the
official GGF "public comments" as well -- this "LAST CALL" is being made to
the WG).

Our OGSA HPC Profile group has been VERY active (the OGSA HPC Profile email
list has not been used to date -- all of the activity is taking place in the
JSDL and BES working groups, both on the email lists and in the conference
calls). We believe that we are making great progress on making sure that our
requirements are contained in the current BES draft and being addressed in
the next JSDL draft). At this time, we believe that we are on-track to make
the Aug 2006 "first draft" deadline for the OGSA HPC profile specification,
although much work remains.

At the OGSA F2F next week, the topics that we anticipate discussing include
BES, JSDL, the issue of "rendering" (e.g., WSRF, WS-I), and the information
model.

We have made a request to have a single 90-minute session at GGF18 in Wash
DC in September. We believe that the majority of this time will be used to
discuss our WG's forthcoming initial draft of the OGSA HPC profile
specification.

Thanks to everyone for participating on the BES and JSDL discussions! We're
very happy with our group's progress to date!

-- Marty

Marty Humphrey
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science