[ogsa-wg] OGSA AuthN BOF charter session approved at OGF-19; input on HPC profile use case and other documents requested

Alan Sill Alan.Sill at ttu.edu
Mon Dec 11 17:38:29 CST 2006

Dear OGSA-AuthN BOF participants,

I received word today that our request to schedule a charter BOF for
OGSA Authentication has been approved for OGF-19.  The organizers
hope to have a preliminary schedule for all sessions available by the
end of this week.

In a related item, the participants in the group working on the "HPC
profile" would like feedback regarding authentication specifications
within this profile.  For the definition of the HPC profile and what
this group is after, please see the documents at the following two
links:

https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/docman/do/listDocuments/projects.ogsa-
wg/docman.root.design_teams.hpc_profile

https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/projects.ogsa-wg/
docman.root.design_teams.reference_model.input_materials

(Apologies if the above links are split in the e-mail process, and
please reassemble before following them if so.)

This will be discussed briefly in the OGSA-WG overall call this
Thursday.  This call occurs from 7 to 9 am US/Central, but Hiro will
attempt to arrange the call to bring up the security topics beginning
at 8:00 am central.

Finally, a note that the "Basic Security Profile" and "Secure
Channel" have been or are close to being released:

For BSP, from Hiro:

> Modified on 12/08/2006 by Greg Newby
>
> Comment was added:
> The standards council approved this document.  It is now in last
> call on the GFSG mailing list, prior to publication.
>
> Respond by visiting:
> http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/artf3405

and for SC:

In addition, there has been some discussion on the standards status
of WS-Policy, but I have so far been unsuccessful in trying to come
up with a current link for this.  If anyone has one, and feels that
discussions on this do not stray too far into OGSA-AuthZ territory,
please forward it to me.  (The links I have been able to find all
date from the 2004 time period except for some from early 2006, which
indicate that WS-Agreement was to supersede WS-Policy; those who know
more please speak up.)

I would like to get the above background work behind us, with a clean
set of references for newcomers and a clear document list, both for
existing documents and those "to be written," before the BOF
assembles  in North Carolina at the end of January.  Please review
the above and make suggestions for a working set of reading material
that will help us get off to a good start with a clear vision of the
standards and practices documentation/recommendation gaps that we
need to fill as a group.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan Sill, Ph.D
TIGRE Senior Scientist, High Performance Computing Center
Adjunct Professor of Physics
TTU