[ogsa-wg] Service creation in OGSA?

Dave Berry daveb at nesc.ac.uk
Mon Dec 4 11:40:32 CST 2006

Dear OGSA WG,

I have an action from the OGSA Dqta WG to ask you about service
creation.  When creating services in OGSA, how does the client specify
the following properties:

- Lifetime of Service
- (Storage) Size
- Default QoS requirements
- Default (security) policies
- Service Location (on which Server say)
- Provisioning

Do you have a common pattern for service creation, or common definitions
of the above items?

Currently we are assuming the existence of factory services that can
create shorter-term services.  E.g. in data transport, the long-lived
service will create a short-lived service that manages the actual data
transfer.  Clients will send control messages to the shorter-lived
service.

This seems similar to the pattern originally encoded in OGSI.  Is it
still the OGSA-approved way to manage service creation?

Best wishes,

Dave Berry
Deputy Director, Research & E-infrastructure Development
National e-Science Centre, 15 South College Street
Edinburgh, EH8 9AA                  +44 131 651 4039