[ogsa-wg] RE: [ogsa-bes-wg] Create a revised BES spec draft that reflects the decisions of the July F2F mtg

Maguire_Tom at emc.com Maguire_Tom at emc.com
Mon Aug 21 14:30:16 CDT 2006

Apologies for the cross post but some of this discussion is relevant to the
OGSA-WG

I would agree that WS-BaseFaults are not required for BES.  In
WS-ResourceProperties the use of BaseFaults is optional (SHOULD).  The OGSA
Basic Profile for WSRF has mandatory (MUST) use of BaseFaults for
WS-Resources.

7.1.1          BaseFault Structure

R0711 A MESSAGE for a fault from a WS-Resource MUST conform to the structure
specified in Web Services Base Faults Section 2, "Base Fault Type."

As I re-read this section it is not nearly clear enough about the scope of
'WS-Resource'ness.  I could interpret this requirement several ways:

*	ALL faults from a WS-Resource MUST be extensions of BaseFaults
*	ALL faults from a WS-Resource based portType MUST be extensions of
BaseFaults
*	ALL faults from a WS-Resource base portType that match the semantics
of existing BaseFaults MUST use the BaseFault extension type that is defined
for that portType (basically what this does is turn the SHOULD in WSRF specs
for faults into MUSTs)

Clearly, point 1 is a non-starter; no implementation will be able to
guarantee that all faults are extension of BaseFaults.  Point 2 is also
extremely difficult as there are significant numbers of interceptors between
the consumer and the provider implementation all of which are likely to not
fault with WS-BaseFaults.  Which leads us to point 3, I think this is the
only reasonable interpretation of the requirement; that faults that are
defined in WSRF specs MUST be used (as opposed to the SHOULD requirement in
WSRF).

Perhaps we should clarify this requirement in the Basic Profile.

w.r.t the subject at hand I think that any consumer will need to deal both
SOAP faults and BaseFaults and as such I don't see much of a need to fuss
about the fault definitions in BES.  I do however, agree with Ian that there
is value in having a common base type for faults.

Tom

Tom Maguire
+1(845) 729-4806

  _____