[ogsa-wg] Now that BES has been revised it's time to start defining an HPC Profile

Marvin Theimer theimer at microsoft.com
Fri Aug 4 15:54:45 CDT 2006

Hi;

Up till now the focus of HPC Profile work has effectively been to engage with the BES and JSDL working groups to try to effect changes that would be useful to the HPC Profile specification effort.  As a consequence the email traffic and discussions have taken place on the BES and JSDL mailing list and teleconference calls.

At the July face-to-face meeting in Argonne we made a lot of progress towards redefining BES in a manner that would nicely support an HPC Profile specification.  We also discussed what kinds of restrictions would be appropriate to JSDL for the HPC Profile as well as the possibility of creating a "basic HPC execution" extension profile that could be used instead of the Posix extension in order to support non-Posix (e.g. Windows) execution systems.

Given all this, it's now time to start working on a concrete HPC Profile specification.  That means that you'll start seeing traffic on the HPC Profile mailing list (ogsa-hpcp-wg) and that we will start holding weekly telecon calls to make forward progress.  I'm sending this email to several mailing lists in order to alert everyone to the fact that the ogsa-hpcp-wg mailing list is going to start seeing traffic and will become the locus of the discussion for the HPC Profile work.  So if you're interested in participating - or just lurking and watching - please do start monitoring (and contributing to) the ogsa-hpcp-wg mailing list.

One of the first things I'll be doing on the mailing list is nailing down a date and time for a recurring telecon call.

Also, we've created a place on gridforge for HPC Profile-related documents:
https://forge.gridforum.org/projects/ogsa-hpcp-wg/
That's where we will be putting all the documents related to the HPC Profile, including straw-man proposals.  Indeed, if you have a straw-man proposal that you'd like to submit concerning any or all aspects of the HPC Profile then please feel free to post your document(s) to gridforge and alert people to them via email to the mailing list.

Thanks,
Marvin.