[ogsa-wg] Job State proposal made to SAGA-RG

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Thu Apr 20 10:15:13 CDT 2006

Quoting [Ian Foster] (Apr 20 2006):

> Chris:
> I don't understand why SAGA is proceeding with a job state modeling effort
> independent of BES. Can you explain?
> Ian.

Ah, but we don't :-)  SAGA has a very simple state model
(new, running, done, failed, unknown).  However, the states
have 'substates', which can be queried, and expose the
complete BES state model.

The simple model above only exposes those states which can
be changed with SAGA calls.  As saga calls get added, e.g.
for hold, more stated might get exposed on that level.

Please have a look at
http://www-unix.gridforum.org/mail_archive/saga-rg/2006/02/png00005.png
I hope that state diagram makes that clearer.  I am not sure
if it is in sync with the current BES states.

Another post to exactly that topic is at
http://www-unix.gridforum.org/mail_archive/saga-rg/2006/02/msg00131.html

Cheers, Andre.

--
"So much time, so little to do..."  -- Garfield