[ogsa-wg] RE: GGF/OGSA standards for hierarchical namespaces

Christopher Jordan ctjordan at sdsc.edu
Sun Apr 9 02:57:23 CDT 2006

(I don't seem to have any record of minutes having been taken or sent
out for this session - if I'm wrong or just missed an e-mail in the
endless shuffle of my inbox, feel free to correct me, but this
document may be taken as a poor-man's minutes, rambling, incoherent,
and just plain wrong though it may be in parts - I was calling in and
so wasn't always able to catch all of the discussion.)

First, I'd like to again thank all the participants in the e-mail and
the F2F discussions for helping us to move this forward.

Regarding the F2F Naming session, I think the RNS/WS-Directory
portion was a very productive discussion, and it certainly seemed to
me that there is general agreement on the need for a refactored or
decomposed version of RNS, as well as agreement on the general
components that will be required. I will refer to the portion of the
re-factored RNS that provides the POSIX directory-like functionality
RNS-Directory, for lack of a better term at this point.  In fact, the
sense I got was that not only is it generally agreed that this type
of thing is needed, but that it is needed as soon as possible; I
certainly feel this way, since much of the work of the GFS-WG should
ideally consist of the definition of a "profile" for GFS usage of RNS-
Directory.

Mark Morgan made it abundantly clear that WS-Directory is not
currently being offered as a proposed GGF standard document, but is
merely intended to provide a somewhat simpler, and in fact quite
minimal, example of a hierarchically structured set of human-readable
names which are associated with XML documents containing at least an
EPR and, as of the most recent version, arbitrary XML, as the entry
document definition includes an "{xsd:any} *" component. I, for one,
feel that WS-Directory will be a a valuable reference point in the
development of the directory service component of RNS 2.0, or
whatever it ends up being called.

Initial action items coming out of the discussion were that Mark
Morgan and Manuel Pereira were to do some communication to try and
get synchronized on at least some initial ideas about what might need
to come out of RNS and how it might need to be changed in order to
get to this magical future invention I call RNS-Directory. I've
offered to help in whatever capacity I can, including arranging for
mailing lists and conference calls if necessary, in addition to
offering my opinions, which by this point is probably assumed ;-).

My personal feeling was that the most difficult issue to resolve was
the question of where the re-factoring effort should live and how it
should proceed; , but it seemed to be generally agreed that GFS-WG is
too far down the GGF hierarchy to be responsible for something that,
as someone put it most appropriately (sorry for not recognizing your
voice), needs the level of visibility associated with being at the
OGSA-* level. At the same time, Mark Morgan suggested that perhaps
OGSA-Naming wasn't necessarily a perfect fit for this effort, as
there isn't quite the right overlap with the efforts and individuals
currently in OGSA-Naming. The last suggestion I heard clearly in toto
was that it should be "officially" part of OGSA-Naming, but that it
may need separate conference calls, GGF sessions, and other devices
to maintain at least some separation from the mainstream OGSA-Naming
work. Manuel explained to me, as a relative newcomer, the original
agreement that the GFS-WG would be responsible for development of
RNS, and that OGSA-Naming would then take over maintenance of it once
it had become a GFD, and something like this  still seems like a good
idea, as long as we can maintain the required level of visibility.

I'd appreciate it if someone who was there could let us all know
what, if any, final decisions were made regarding how this process
will proceed.

I haven't had a chance to look at WS-Enumeration, but it's on my
reading list - at the least, it should be useful in thinking about
how to integrate the directory work with separate and more generally
applicable iteration or enumeration standards.

Thanks,

On Apr 5, 2006, at 12:53 PM, Dave Berry wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for this note.  I hope the F2F discussion is productive.
>
> I will repeat my suggestion that the naming team should look at
> WS-Enumeration to see if it, or an extension thereof, satisfies the
> requirements for an iteration interface.  I have no idea whether it
> does
> meet those requirements but we should take a look.  This is especially
> true given the MS/IBM/HP/Intel WS white paper, which has WS-
> Enumeration
> in at the bottom layer.
>
> Another question I've had raised to me is whether we can use WSRF/WSRT
> to handle the properties associated with entries in the directory.  I
> personally don't see how this would work, but given the context we're
> working in it would be helpful to establish what relationship
> exists, if
> any.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Dave.