[ogsa-wg] BES query

Mark McKeown zzalsmm3 at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Fri Sep 2 05:24:09 CDT 2005

Hi Tom,
       Thanks for the response - just to make I am
understanding everything correctly.

ReferenceParameters are used to "facilitate a particular
interaction" with an endpoint - Hugo Hass compared them to
HTTP Cookies.

Taking an example of a WS-Resource with an associated
ResourceProperties document. The WS-Resource could have
an endpoint:

<wsa:EndpointReference>
      <wsa:address>http://vermont.mvc.mcc.ac.uk/<wsa:address>
</wsa:EndpointReference>

Now supposing the WS-Resource provider wanted to povide leases
for providing a write lock on the ResourceProperties document,
to support this the WS-Resource needs to support stateful
interactions, ie. the WS-Resource needs to be able to identify
which client holds the lease. (Cookies are designed to support
stateful interactions over HTTP so we should be able to use
ReferenceParameters) The WS-Resource provider could do
this by providing a new EPR that contained ReferenceParameters to
the client when he requests the lease (other options are WS-Context and
WS-Coordintation) - the EPR could look like

<wsa:EndpointReference>
      <wsa:address>http://vermont.mvc.mcc.ac.uk/<wsa:address>
      <wsa:ReferenceParameters>
         <my:Lease>345...56</my:Lease>
      </wsa:ReferenceParameters>
</wsa:EndpointReference>

The client who presents <my:Lease>345...56</my:Lease> in the
SOAP Header has the write lock - effectively the ReferenceParameters
are used to indentify a client in this case. (Of course some
people object to stateful interactions - not as scalable, not
as fault tolerent etc,
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/top.htm)

Once the lease expires the EPR is invalid - the client has
to get a new one.

(Another approach is to give each client a different EPR
with different ReferenceParameters - then clients don't
have to get a new EPR when they request a lease and you
can track what each client does, similar to how HTTP cookies
can track browsers as they move around a site)

So resolving an EPR could be needed for two reasons: the
endpoint has moved (similar to 301 in HTTP ) or the client
wants to start a new stateful interaction (similar to deleting
your cookies from you browser).

Is this example the correct use of ReferenceParameters?

thanks
Mark

Mark Mc Keown                            RSS
Mark.McKeown at man.ac.uk 	                 Manchester Computing
+44 161 275 0601     		         University of Manchester