[ogsa-wg] Slides available at

Olegario Hernandez oleghf at vtr.net
Sun Oct 23 13:00:54 CDT 2005

Excuse me please but for me sounds amazing that at this stage architects of
the OGSA community are still asking what is a grid and if hdw/sfw, virtual
or real, are resources that might be grid components.

Olegario Hernandez

At 13:28 23/10/2005, Donal K. Fellows wrote:
>Yuri Demchenko wrote:
>>Andrew Grimshaw wrote:
>>>The voice over stress that the hardware view of a grid is what is one the
>>>slide --- and that it is also what we have called distributed systems for
>>Is grid a hardware, or can it be separable from the software?
>
>I've always taken the view that the Grid is an abstraction of all that
>hardware/software/service gunk. As a consumer of the Grid, you should
>not care, and should not have to care, whether the thing you are using
>is real hardware, virtualized, a pure software entity, or what. Just
>like as a consumer of electricity from the grid, you're not too bothered
>about whether that power came from burning coal, oil or gas. Abstract
>virtualization (which is probably not exactly what you're talking about,
>but an abstraction of it) is almost certainly the real key to it all.
>
>Naturally, those people involved in the management of the Grid will
>care, but they should be in the minority, just as electric company
>employees are in the minority compared to power users.
>
>Here's hoping this makes things clearer, not more obscure!
>
>Donal.

Olegario HernandezI
BM Certified ODB Solution Designer
Chemical Engineer - Universidad de Chile
(56) 2 220 5168 Santiago - Chile
E-mail: oleghf at vtr.net