[ogsa-wg] Re: [ogsa-naming-wg] WS-Names and WS-Addressing WSDL Binding

Steve Loughran steve_loughran at hpl.hp.com
Wed Oct 12 07:00:49 CDT 2005

Frank Siebenlist wrote:
 > I'd like to go back to the start of your discussion and talk about the
 > required properties of the Address.
 >
 > The assumptions for the AbstractName are:
 >
 > *    The name MUST be globally unique in both space and time.
 > *    The name conforms to URI syntax ("Uniform Resource Identifiers
 > (IRI): Generic Syntax", RFC 3987).
 >
 > I believe that we need more assumptions on the binding properties
 > itself, and an example may help.
 >
 > Suppose we have:
 >
 > <wsa:EndpointReference
 >  xmlns:wsa="http://www.w3.org/2005/03/addressing"
 >  xmlns:name="http://ggf.org/name">
 >    <wsa:Address>
 >      http://tempuri.org/example?Id=3
 >    </wsa:Address>
 >    <name:AbstractName>
 >      urn:guid:B94C4186-0923-4dbb-AD9C-39DFB8B54388
 >    </name:AbstractName>
 > </wsa:EndpointReference>
 >

 > As you can see, we have an AbstractName that clearly looks unique in
 > space and time, and an Address that seems to have a service/resource
 > identifier (Id=3) that doesn't look that strong.
 >
 > Now suppose that this service application is implemented such that after
 > the hosting environment is recycled/restarted, the following EPR is
valid:

 > <wsa:EndpointReference>
 >    <wsa:Address>
 >      http://tempuri.org/example?Id=4
 >    </wsa:Address>
 >    <name:AbstractName>
 >      urn:guid:B94C4186-0923-4dbb-AD9C-39DFB8B54388
 >    </name:AbstractName>
 > </wsa:EndpointReference>
 >
 > (I've removed the name space identifiers for clarity)
 >
 > As you can see, the implementation has assigned a different Address to
 > the same AbstractName, and we can guess that the Id=4 is the changed
 > distinguishing parameter value used for dispatching to the same
 > service/resource.

on the subject of tooling, you should know that Axis2 drops the
?name=value from any URL before the POST; you need to examine the
address and parse out that data yourself if you want query parameters.
Also uri#value anchors seem to get stripped completely.

Also, that address has to be a non-abstract destionation for the
transport, which means for the http transport, that stuff gets posted to
the destination. A better example URI would be

http://server.example.org/example/4/

as it avoids more implementation details.

-steve