[ogsa-wg] RE: [ogsa-d-wg] Data architecture requirements on naming

Hiro Kishimoto hiro.kishimoto at jp.fujitsu.com
Tue Nov 22 17:42:12 CST 2005

Peter's email bounced.

Subject: RE: [ogsa-d-wg] Data architecture requirements on naming
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:36:31 +0100
From: "Peter Kunszt" <Peter.Kunszt at cern.ch>
To: "David Berry" <daveb at nesc.ac.uk>, <ogsa-naming-wg at ggf.org>,
	"ogsa-wg" <ogsa-wg at gridforum.org>, <ogsa-d-wg at gridforum.org>

hi dave

in our experience, case (B) is not being used by clients.
the reason is that the policies that are put in place
to find the 'best' concrete replica are very application
specific and are usually implemented by the applications
themselves. what turned out to be much more useful was to
present the list of replicas when asked for it with some
measured qualifyers that the grid can provide, i.e. predicted
access cost, latency, time to wait (queues) or whatever is
available so that the application can resolve the 'best'
replica based on any model/policy they may want to apply.

it turned out that implementing a generic policy enforcer
is very difficult and what you end up doing is to provide
a python interpreter so that the applications can write
their own policy scripts...

hope this helps,

cheers,
peter